Orange Chocolate Chip Bread
Orange Chocolate Chip Bread with Coconut Topping
Makes about 24 muffins or 5 small loaves
3 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
Zest of one orange – about 2 tsp
2/3 vegetable oil
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained and coarsely chopped (use juice from oranges after chopping)
2/3 cup mini-chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup sugar
2 T melted butter
- Heat oven to 350 (breads) or 375 (muffins). Line muffin pans or small loaf pans. Coat with Pam spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, beat together sugar, orange juice, zest, oil and eggs. On low, beat in the flour mixture until combined. Beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Fold in oranges and chocolate chips.
- Mix topping ingredients in a separate bowl. Sprinkle over top of batter.
- Bake* until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean or with a few crumbs. See note below for baking times and instructions.
- Cool slightly on wire rack before removing from pans.
*Bake muffins at 375 for 20 minutes.
*Bake small loaf breads at 350 for 40 minutes. Cover with foil after 20 minutes to prevent burning coconut topping.