Winter Chicken Bake
This is an easy one-dish recipe is warm, hearty, healthy, and colorful. The tartness of the cranberries compliments the sweetness of the barbecue sauce and the mellow sweet potatoes.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple – peeled, cored, and chopped (I used Fuji)
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce or more (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking dish or line with non-stick foil for easy cleanup.
- Pre-bake the sweet potato in the microwave. After rinsing in water, pierce several times with a knife. Wrap in a paper towel. Bake in microwave on potato setting.
- Arrange the onion, apple, and carrots into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Drizzle barbeque sauce over the mixture and stir to moisten.
- Brush barbecue sauce on both sides of the chicken breasts and lay atop the vegetables. Peel the sweet potato and cut into large chunks. Scatter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the cranberries over the dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, 45 to 55 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com Recipe by Cageincali