Apple Cinnamon Cake
John’s loves all things apple! I created this sweet, moist cake by combining several of our favorite apple cake recipes. Make it a day before serving to enhance the flavor and moistness. It’s a great coffee cake or top it off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a terrific dessert. Enjoy!
For the cake:
1 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ cup sugar
2 cups peeled and roughly chopped apples (Granny Smith and Honeycrisp make a good combination)
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup sour cream
For the cinnamon topping:
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs and whisk well. Add vanilla, oil, and sour cream and whisk to blend with the eggs. Add apples and stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Gently mix with wooden spoon until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Make the cinnamon topping by combining all the ingredients. Mix until lumpy and wet. Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake cake 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.