Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup canola oil
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 large eggs
¼ cup milk
1 ¾ cup flour
1 T baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
½ jar Smucker’s caramel sauce
½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together sugar, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture and the milk alternately to the brown sugar mixture just until blended. Stir in the apples.
- Pour apple cake batter into the pan. Bake about 30-40 minutes until cake springs back when touch lightly in center.
- Take out of the oven. With a fork, pierce the cake all over. Warm the caramel sauce in the microwave for about 15 seconds just so it pours easily. Pour the warm caramel sauce over the cake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Increase decadence by serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.