Zesty Salsa Chicken
During winter months, John and I are always looking for easy and healthy dinner dishes to quickly assemble and pop in the oven. This zesty salsa chicken fits the bill perfectly!
4 chicken breasts – if thick, butterfly
4 scallions – chopped – use only ½ of green tops
½ – ¾ packet taco seasoning mix (if you contaminate taco seasoning with chicken, throw the rest away)
1 or 1 ½ cups of salsa – use Pace or another thick salsa
¾ cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking dish with non-stick foil or lightly grease.
- Coat chicken breasts with taco seasoning on both sides of chicken breasts and place chicken in pan.
- Spread scallions on top of chicken.
- Spoon salsa on top of chicken and scallions covering well.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juicy and its juices run clear.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve with rice or potatoes. The heated salsa makes a wonderful sauce.