Twenty years ago at Christmas time, Sherry Jackson, the wife of my boss Steve, gave all the marketing reps at Aetna Life and Casualty a loaf of this pretty, delicious, and moist bread. I’ve been it making it every year since!
One batch makes at least six small loaves and freezes well so you can do it well ahead of holiday giving. Enjoy!
Combine in a large bowl:
3 C flour
2 C sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix together with an electric mixer:
3 beaten eggs
1 C vegetable or canola oil
After eggs and oil are combined, fold in 2 C thawed frozen strawberries with juice. I buy the big 20 oz. container and remove 4 oz. Strawberries should remain in tact.
Add later: 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients a cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Fold in 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Pour batter in greased 6 small gift-size pans. Pans should be 2/3 full.
- Bake for 40 or so minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread on racks (keeping them in the pans) for 10 minutes. Take breads out of pans to finish cooling to room temperature.
- Wrap in festive plastic wrap and a holiday ribbon.