Frosted Pumpkin Cake Squares
Troyer’s Home Pantry in Apple Creek, Ohio
Printed in Good Housekeeping November 2003
I’ve been making this moist and flavorful cake for ten years. It’s best when made the day before you want to serve it so the spices really blend together. I frost it the day I’m serving it. John loves it the next morning with a steaming cup of coffee.
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
½ cup canola oil
1 cup sifted flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
¼ cup cream cheese (1/4 of 8 oz block)
2 T butter, softened
½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Mix sugar and eggs at medium speed for 2 minutes. Beat in pumpkin and oil.
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- At low speed, add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture. Beat 1 minute scraping sides of bowl frequently.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake 25-30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack.
- Prepare frosting: Mix all ingredients at low speed for 2 minutes. Frost cake.