Lemony Pea and Mint Salad
This salad pops with flavor and texture. I love the crisp fresh lemon dressing. I make the salad in the morning and let it marinate all day stirring periodically. Add the almonds and mint before serving.
1 pound frozen baby sweet peas
1 small shallot, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Freshly cracked pepper to taste
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 to 4 sprigs fresh mint (optional)
4 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Place the peas in a colander and rinse with cold water. Let sit until peas have thawed.
- Zest the lemon and set aside. Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk shallot, salt, sugar, and pepper into the lemon juice until sugar has dissolved. Continue whisking while slowly pouring in the olive oil.
- Place mint leaves on top of each other and roll tightly. Slice mint into thin strips.
- Place the thawed peas into a serving bowl. Pour vinaigrette over peas and toss. Garnish with fresh mint, lemon zest, and slivered almonds. Note:If making this dish ahead, wait until serving time to slice the mint.
Our State magazine, April 2020